April 30, 2012

Spanish Homework and the Solar System

By Kirsten Crum, Project READ Committee Member

Project READ student and JLPA-MP Volunteer
I recently had the pleasure of working with a second grader, Michelle, while volunteering at Project READ for my League placement. She was extremely bright and finished her homework in about 5 minutes and without any assistance from me. This was very fortunate as she was in a Spanish immersion school and my Spanish no es muy bueno so I was struggling to understand the assignment.

After we finished her Spanish homework we moved on to working on her science project. The project focused on the solar system and space travel. I consulted a bit on the overall layout and helped her to create the tape circles she used to paste down various parts of the poster she was working on. The most enjoyable aspect of the evening was spent admiring her focus and enthusiasm. Her mother had to drag her away at the end of the night since she was so wrapped up in adding material to her presentation.

Overall, I’m so impressed with the kids at Project READ, and also have so enjoyed meeting their parents, all of whom have been really involved with their children and very committed to helping them get ahead. What a wonderful organization!











No comments:

Post a Comment