Leadership cannot really be taught. It has to be learned. ~ Harold S. Geneen
It is hard to believe that it is only a matter of days before our clocks and calendars turn to 2010. While the time is going quickly, for a few committees, the month of December may be a little “slow.” You may have social events rather than heavy meetings, but please keep in mind that you are leading a group of amazing ladies and they need to hear from you. You may also be working with amazing organizations that need to hear from you too.
If your committee or Council does not have much happening this month, make an effort to reach out and let your members know that they’re making a difference. Below you’ll find some quick leadership inspiration to lead you through December and into January.
- People do what they have to do for their manager; they do their best for an inspirational leader. (Note to self… you want to be an inspiring leader, not a manager.)
- You must embody what you ask of others and be able to articulate a shared vision in a way that inspires others to act.
- You must offer a sense of common purpose beyond the day-to-day tasks, making work exciting (with fun thrown in too). Establish an environment of continuous improvement.
- Help people connect their personal goals to League or committee goals. (It is a great idea to remind ourselves and committee members to freshen up our resumes to include Junior League involvement and achievements. It can be a deciding factor when searching for a new job or going for a promotion.)
- Involve everyone, empower and trust your committee members.
- Coach and train people to greatness. (Everyone has talents… you need to work to identify the talents, then nourish them.)
- Build teams and promote teamwork. Leverage the diversity in the group.
- Motivate, inspire and energize people. Recognize achievements!
- Make the committee work fun. Get creative or reach out if you are struggling to see the “fun” in the work that needs to be done.
- Choose to lead. Be the person others choose to follow.
So, there’s a little inspiration for you. Best wishes for a safe and happy holiday season ahead. We’d like to offer you a sincere Thank You for all you do for the League!
Some of this month’s sources include: www.humanresources.about.com and http://www.slideshare.net./
Do you feel inspired? Do you have suggestions for future topics? If you have questions or comments, or just want to comment on what you’ve read, please send a note to the Nominating Committee.