February 15, 2011

What do the Grammy's and JLPA-MP have in common?

by Summer Brill, Web Marketing Assistant Chair/Social Media, 2010-11


Did you catch the Grammy's Sunday night? I LOVE the Grammy's and get so excited the week before. I love the anticipation of what the artists are going to wear, who they are walking the Red Carpet with and what silly questions they will be asked by Ryan Seacrest and Giulliana Rancic.

But the best part of the Grammy's for me, is the entertainment. Not just any entertainment, but the unique pairings of artists on stage putting on an incredible show that you will see no where else.

Where else will you see Nora Jones, John Mayer and Keith Urban sing Dolly Parton's Jolene, or a Legend such as Bob Dylan sing with two contemporary Jam Bands (Mumford & Sons and the Avett Bros), or Cee Lo sing a profanity-filled song with actress Gwyneth Paltrow and backed up by the Muppets? Only the Grammy's.

But what does this have to do with the League? In my experience with the League over the past three years, I have been amazed at the diverse backgrounds of the women in our League and how these collaborations work like no-where else I know.

Over the past few years I've had the opportunity to work and become friends with other stay at home moms, lawyers, real estate agents, teachers, money managers, entrepreneurs/small business owners, writers, photographers, stylists...the list goes on. Women who are married, single, divorced, with children, without, in the process of having children...Yet, given all of our diverse interests, family status' and occupations, we all work together towards a common goal to improve the Community we live in. We do it with cooperation and passion that I have not witnessed in any other organization that I've been a part of.

I renewed my Membership online last night, and as I did, I reflected on the League and how it has enriched my life from a personal and professional perspective. I can now count many of these incredible women as my new friends (who I run into all over town!). Not only that, over the past three years, I've gained experience organizing and putting on both small scale and large scale events (soup to nuts), running meetings, presenting to large and small groups, and implementing a social media marketing program. I gained all this experience while being a Stay at Home Mom!

I've had a wonderful experience in the League these past few years, and I look forward to what’s to come!

To learn more about the Junior League of Palo Alto-Mid Peninsula, visit our website here, or "like" us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/jlpamp

No comments:

Post a Comment