December 09, 2010

Happy Feet!



by Cynthia Munoz (MarCom Committee)

Last night, our awesome MarCom Committee/Communications Council decided to forego our usual monthly meeting and instead, for the holidays, treated ourselves to manicures and pedicures at a nail salon in Los Altos . Gabriella imported dim sum all the way from San Francisco , Kristin brought the champagne, Kris brought an INSANE red velvet cake, and everyone else chipped in with some wonderful sweet treats.

All the makings of a lovely evening? Yes.

A super big deal? Double yes. Well, for me personally, anyway.

I have managed to hide, for all these years, a secret amongst many of my social circles – that I was a pedicure virgin. I don't know how I managed to escape this girlie ritual for so long, as I do have many friends and family members who do this regularly, but somehow I resisted. I’ve gotten a couple of manicures in my lifetime, and they were ok. I could have done without the whole arm massaging bit as I normally don't like people I don’t know touching me. And really, as much as I disliked having my forearm massaged, I envisioned really disliking a stranger touching and massaging my feet.

I debated the whole way to the salon. Stick with the hands? Go for the feet. No, do the hands. I know what will happen with the hands. Feet? Try it? What if everyone else does pedicures? I wanted to do what everyone else was going to do. It was high school in my mind, all over again. Suddenly, the salon hostess put me on the spot and said, “Cynthia, are you ready? Have a seat in that chair.” Yikes! What do I do? Just go sit? Get my flip flops? At least I had the foresight to bring those along. Do I get them now? Am I supposed to wait? Arghhh! I haven't even picked a color yet!!!

I finally just take a deep breath, sit down, stick my feet in the water, find myself having a nice time catching up with Gabriella in the next chair and staring at cute little Donatella. Occasionally, I notice the tailoring going on down at the toe area and you know what? It wasn't so bad! In fact, I down right enjoyed it! I admitted to everyone that it was my first pedicure, and they were all aghast, but very supportive. What a great group! And it was so much fun snacking on all the treats and chatting with everyone, which we don’t normally get to do as much during our regular meetings.

I'm really looking forward to working on more projects in the New Year with these awesome ladies and now thanks to them, when it comes to the world of pedicures, I can hold my head up high. Except that I can’t stop looking down at my super cute dark purple toes.

Top Photo: (L-R) Cynthia Munoz, Gabriella Cirelli, Baby Donatella, Leslie Liu, Kris Spencer-Jones, Tara Moeller, Summer Brill, Kristin Fabos-Livingston

Bottom Photo: (L-R) Cynthia Munoz, Gabriella Cirelli, Baby Donatella, Kristin Fabos-Livingston, Kris Spencer-Jones, Tara Moeller, Lauran Bloom, Summer Brill, Leslie Liu


Share your Committee social story! Email Blog submissions to stories@thejuniorleague.org, and don't forget your photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment